Skilled Representation for All Aspects of the Adoption Process
Bringing a child into your family is a huge, life-changing decision. The adoption process is complex and confusing whether you are adopting a baby locally or internationally, or transferring guardianship. Our attorneys have handled adoptions for same sex couples, international adoptions, domestic adoptions, infant adoptions, special needs adoption, older child adoption, and termination of parental rights. It is important to have knowledgeable and effective representation throughout the process.
At Strassburger McKenna Gutnick & Gefsky, our attorneys help you move through the adoption process, either through an adoption agency or an independent adoption. The steps for adoption through an adoption agency include:
- First, select an adoption agency. Make sure the agency is qualified and accredited.
- Fill out the adoption application and begin the screening process. At this stage, the adoption agency may have you attend orientation to learn more about your family and you will learn about the challenges of adoption. In the state of Pennsylvania, you are eligible to adopt if you are over age 21, have no child-related criminal charges and have the means to support a child.
- Complete your family profile with the agency. The adoption agency completes the profile after meeting with your family to help the agency learn about your family and to help your family learn about the children who are up for adoption. In Pennsylvania, a database of children is maintained with the Pennsylvania Adoption Exchange (PAE) along with a list of families who are looking to adopt.
- Begin the matching process and visit with children who are identified as potential good fits.
- If your family and the child are a good match, the child moves into your home in a pre-adoptive placement.
- For approximately six months after placement, adoption workers stage regular visits with the adoptive family for support and to check on the welfare of the child.
- If all is well after the trial period, the adoption is finalized.
An adoption is an exciting event. At Strassburger McKenna Gutnick & Gefsky, we are committed to helping you proceed smoothly through the process to minimize any issues. Contact Gerri Sperling today at (412) 281-5423 or firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment with an experienced adoption attorney today.